All benefits-eligible employees, as well as graduate assistants holding a full academic year appointment, may elect Delta Dental insurance with or without the Vision Service Plan (VSP). SEIU bargaining unit employees also have the option of Service Employees Benefit Fund (SEBF) Dental insurance with or without the SEBF Vision Plan.
Delta Dental Plan
SU offers two subsidized dental options through Delta Dental:
- The Preventive Plan provides coverage for specified diagnostic, preventive, and temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) services.
- The Comprehensive Plan provides coverage for services listed in the Preventive Plan in addition to basic and major restorative services, oral surgery, endodontics, periodontics, and prosthodontics.
Both Delta Dental options are fully insured point-of-service plans with two levels of coverage depending on whether the dentist participates in the Delta Dental PPO network. If the dentist does not participate in the Delta Dental PPO network, services will generally have higher co-insurance levels and the dentist may also choose to bill you for the difference between his or her usual charges and the allowable amount for those services as determined by Delta Dental.
Enrollment in a Delta Dental option is a two-year commitment. All benefits-eligible employees began a two-year cycle on January 1, 2015. All elections made during this two-year cycle will be in effect through December 31, 2016.
VSP Vision Plan
- If you enroll in dental with vision coverage, vision benefits are provided through Vision Service Providers (VSP). Coverage is provided for routine eye exams, contact lens care, glasses and frames. Vision is not available as a separate option.
- To view a summary of the services covered and benefits provided, please view the VSP Allowances & Co-payments.
- Enrollment in the combined Delta Dental and VSP Vision program is a two-year commitment.
- Most premiums are paid through pre-tax payroll deduction.
- Premiums for domestic partners and their children are paid on an after-tax basis.
- Contributions listed below are based on the 12-month calendar year. Actual deductions from each paycheck will vary depending upon your deduction cycle.
Dental and Vision Rates for 2014 and 2015*
The web pages summarize your Syracuse University benefit options. Every effort has been made to ensure this information is accurate. However, the programs are governed by legal documents and insurance contracts. If there is any difference between the information on these web pages and the official documents and contracts, the official documents and contracts will rule. Our benefits are governed by current laws and operated according to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations. We will notify you if changes in plans are necessary to comply with the law or with IRS regulations.
Employees electing to participate in the SU benefit plans are bound by the terms of the governing Plan documents. If you have any questions regarding the plans, you may request a copy of the Plan document from the Plan Administrator by contacting the HR Service Center at the number indicated at the end of this page.
As is the case with all benefits offered by SU, (1) the Plan Administrator has the discretionary authority to interpret the terms of the Plan and such interpretation will be binding on all interested parties to the fullest extent permitted by law, and (2) the University reserves the right to modify or terminate the Plan at any time.